Last night was a huge triumph for the nation and a victory for our efforts right here in Delaware. Here's the score:
- In the First State, a majority of Delaware Right to Marry's supported candidates for the legislature were elected or re-elected to the State House and State Senate. There were some disappointments, but on balance it was a good night. We could not have done this without your tireless efforts.
- Next door, over 1.2 million of our neighbors in Maryland voted to pass same-gender marriage.
- Further afield in Maine, voters there reversed a 2009 ballot initiative and legalized marriage equality.
- Washington state also looks set to narrowly approve marriage equality but the votes are still being counted.
- Over 1.5 million Minnesotans last night voted down a constitutional amendment that would have banned same-gender marriage.
After more than 30 consecutive defeats at the ballot box, supporters of equality have won four states in one historic night. The tide has turned.